According to a french historian, the first sign of church foundation at Portofino goes back to 160 d. c. It was built near the Olivetta hill on the Peninsula: after centuries, it was written in some works that, the population developed continuously reaching more than three thousand inhabitants. A new church was therefore necessary to hold all these parishioners and, in 986 the first foundations were put down which are those of the present parish church called “San Martino vescovo” (Saint Martin bishop): the natives of Portofino were skilful sailors, participating with the genoese in the East Crusades, and testifying their devotion to San Giorgio before having a temple where to put the Saint’s relics. In 1154 the natives of Portofino wanted to build the temple on the isthmus so it would be protected from the atmospheric conditions and from the pestilence: they declared San Giorgio patron Saint of Portofino, whilst the abbots of San Fruttuoso called the temple or, Saint George’s church or, Saint Martin’s church. The consecration of the Church was in 1548. As centuries went by Portofino’s churches multiplied: chapels rose in San Sebastiano, in Paraggi, in San Gottardo, then the Nostra Signora Assunta oratory was built which became a confraternity, the Madonna of Vitrale, the Madonna of Sabaino, the Madonna of Capo and others that have been lost in the past.